Reuse-Remake Idea: Cart cover from play mat

I do love fabric shopping. Sometimes a little too much. But there is a whole different satisfaction I get from reusing what I have already and remaking it into something new and useful. Making dresses for the little ones from my old tops is definitely a favorite in the reuse-remake category. Right now, I am using the babies' cotton blankets to make a zip up sleeping bag for Little One, who has a habit of climbing/jumping out of her crib in the night time. It's fun when you go 'closet shopping' for fabric...

One of my first projects to reuse-remake was convert the baby gym/play mat into a shopping cart cover. I don't have a tutorial for what exactly was done, but thought I will pass along the idea, as it has proved to be pretty useful and functional. About a half an hour's work has saved me $20 and protection from countless germs on the shopping carts.

I'll admit....the idea was borrowed one. When I was shopping for a cart cover for the kids, I saw this Infantino 2-in-1 cart cover and play mat. That got me thinking....now I already have a play mat, how difficult is it going to be to make a cart cover out of it. And I did not need a play mat any more....

So this became.....


This....





As I mentioned before, this was during my early sewing days.  The finish is far from perfect.
Measurements were initially incorrect.  Took seams apart by trial and error...but got the job done.

Basic idea is to add some fabric and elastic to the the front and back of your sheet, so that it wraps around the cart handle and the back of the area where the child sits.



And a couple of cut outs for their legs near the front.



Kiddos loved it...still do. You can also add loops toward the front to hang their favorite toys, water bottle, etc. to keep them occupied.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...